In the wake of an EU Commission lawsuit against Denmark, the government, with the help of the New Alliance party, is investigating the possibility of allowing international competition on the national gambling circuit.
According to New Alliance's Anders Samuelsen, who will later this week put forth a proposal suggesting the end to Danske Spil's gaming monopoly, there is no longer any point in protecting something that will be lost anyway, referring to the lawsuit against Denmark by the European Commission.
Since 1949, Danske Spil has been the official authority in charge of all the country's gambling enterprises. The Danish government owns 80 percent of the shares in the organisation, while national sport and recreational unions own the remaining 20 percent.
Read the entire article here (Source: JP)